For women who have seen fashion evolve over the years, making a non-repetitive, elegant impression can be a challenge. Go for a minimalist wardrobe with classic clothing for a stylish array of looks without compromising on comfort, say experts.
Bhavya Chawla, chief stylist at Voonik, and fashion designer Reynu Taandon, give out a few style tips for women over 50.
Invest in saris that are firm yet light in weight. Cotton, linen and silk blends are good options. Classic patterns such as indigo prints, ikats look lovely.
* In kurtis, slightly structured silhouettes should be either straight or A-line. When pairing them with ankle-length pants or even palazzos, add scarves or stoles to for a dash of elegance. Choosing the right prints and colours would complement the look.
* Pick a pair of dark, mid-rise denims that have a slightly tapered or straighter hem. Add two or three tapered pants in black and another colour for occasions like work or dinner to your wardrobe.
* Invest in classic style tops in neutral colours that can be teamed up with statement accessories and scarves. A smart, structured jacket is a must-have for office-goers. A couple of shift, A-line dresses in solid colours and smaller patterns is a great addition for outings.
* Kaftan look is a cool and easy-to-wear option for a woman who has little time for vanity. Ethnic kaftans or kaftan kurtis are the best time-savers.
* Keep it simple and stay away from bling. Classic pieces should be made the core of your wardrobe capsule to cater to multiple occasions.
* Buy bras that really fit, and do not shy away from trying shapewear.